- Events Listing, 1995-present
- More on Early Consortium Events 1995-1996
- Consortium History - 1996
- Consortium History - 1995
- The Genesis, 1993 - 1995
Consortium History and Events - 1996
- August 3: Consortium holds first full conference planning meeting
- July 21: Consortium visits Vertigo in Vancouver BC
- July 17: Consortium visits Microsoft Corporation in Redmond WA
- July 17: Consortium visits the Human Interface Technology Lab in Seattle WA
- July 16: Consortium visits Intel Corporation in Hillsboro, OR
- July 13: Consortium holds Digital Mixer
- July 9: Consortium participates in Onlive! launch of Utopia
- July 3: Consortium visits Imagination Network
- July 1: Consortium presents conference proposal to Netscape Communications Corp
- June 28: Consortium presentation to editors at Wired Magazine
- June 28: Consortium members attend VRML Power Friday
- June 27: Consortium meeting with Worlds, Match.com.
- June 26: ThePalace added to July 13 avatar-mixer with Blacksun, Worlds and Match.com.
- June 23: Bruce Damer interviewed for Dutch TV by Luc Sala by Myster.
- June 20: NTT Software to Join Consortium
- June 19: Decision made to go ahead with October Conference, OKed by IICS.
- June 16: Consortium interviewed inside Sherwood Towne for French multimedia, University of Paris 1
- June 15: Consortium holds VRML-o-Rama to introduce VRML building to organization members (org meeting)
- June 14: Consortium attends opening of Black Sun Interactive offices in San Francisco
- June 14: Consortium visits Virtual Places creators GNN in Berkeley CA
- June 14: Consortium visits Match.com and SOME Interactive in San Francisco
- June 14: Xplor International joins Consortium as an Affiliate
- June 13: Consortium featured in article in the Hartford Courant
- June 14: Consortium offered Community Server by Worlds, Incorporated
- June 11: Consortium presents seminar at IICS exhibit, University of San Francisco
- June 10: Intel joins Consortium as Corporate Sponsor
- June 8: Third Sherwood Forest Towne Build-In and Consortium Meeting
- June 8: Renewals of founding memberships due
- June 7: Virtual University of Sophia-Antipolis presented to 140 French educators in Nice, France
- June 5: Consortium Presents Colloquium at Philips, Redhill U.K.
- June 4: Consortium meets Stuart Gold, Sherwood Architect in London, U.K.
- May 29-June 3: Consortium participates in MediARTech, Florence, Italy
- May 27: Philips joins Consortium as Corporate Sponsor
- May 17: Consortium plans for MediARTech, Florence Italy with MCluhan Program
- May 17: Consortium presents Seminar at the Computer Engineering Department, University of Toronto, Canada
- May 17: Consortium presents Demonstration at the MCluhan Program, University of Toronto, Canada
- May 14: Consortium presents Colloquium at the National Research Council, Ottawa, Canada
- May 13: Consortium presents Seminar at CRIM, Montreal, Canada
- May 13: Consortium presents Seminar at the University of Montreal, Canada
- May 4: Second Sherwood Forest Day: build-in is carried out sucessfully (org meeting)
- May 1: Consortium attends, presents organization at VRML BOF, Internet World, San Jose
- April: Consortium visits Black Sun Interactive office, San Francisco
- April 22: Consortium presents Seminar at University of Victoria, Victoria Canada
- April 18: Consortium invited to submit design column to ACM Interactions
- April 18: Consortium invited to participate in CSCW96, Boston MA, November 1996
- April 17: Philips agrees to join as Corporate Member
- April 17: Consortium presents Formal Demonstration at ACM CHI96, Vancouver Canada
- Mar 29: Consortium submits proposal for American Anthropological Association conference
- Mar 25: Consortium presents to IICS, article to be included in IICS Bay Area Chapter newsletter
- Mar 24: First Sherwood Forest all-avatar meeting held! (org meeting)
- Mar 12: Sherwood Forest avatar meeting announced
- Mar 9: Consortium First Annual Meeting Held, Lynn Macias from the IICS joins!
- Mar 8: Consortium Seminar 96: Contact Made! (in digital space) held in Milpitas, CA
- Feb 29: Consortium relaunches Web Site with Sherwood Forest Experiment Shots!
- Feb 24: Consortium advertisement runs in New World Times
- Feb 23: Consortium Symposium 96 Annoucement sent
- Feb 22: Sherwood Forest Project announced to Internet
- Sherwood Forest land layout completed, collabatar tested
- Consortium website reconstructed
- Consortium Finishes preparation for Spring Symposium
- Feb 10: Consortium Web Day, training/redevelopment of Consortium Web Site, more Sherwood site layout
- Feb 8: Participation in 24 Hours in Cyberspace
- Feb 4: Full Consortium Meeting, Introducing Sherwood, planning for CONTACT/Symposium
- Jan 26: Consortium visits Bonnie Nardi, presents at Apple Advanced Technology Group
- Consortium recruits speakers for Spring Symposium
- Consortium begins construction of Sherwood Forest
Consortium History and Events - 1995
- Consortium plans event in 24 Hours in Cyberspace for Feb 8, 1996
- Consortium plans visit to Apple Computer anthropologist Bonnie Nardi
- Consortium visits VRML developers Construct, Inc.
- Consortium accepted to deliver formal demonstration at CHI96, April, Vancouver Canada
- Nov 19: Consortium reorganizes in general meeting, plots future course.
- Oct 21: Consortium meeting.
- Sept 23: Consortium meeting: WorkSpace96 Seminar tabled, planning Spring conference
- Sept 22: Consortium submits paper and demonstration proposal to ACM CHI
- Sept 14: Consortium visits Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton MA
- Consortium incorporation comes through!
- First Consortium webpage debuts
- Aug 31: Consortium one of first in Beta Test of AlphaWorld
- Berkeley University Radio carries interview with Consortium
- Christine Kekenes joins Board as Director of Technology Assessment
- Aug 19: Full Consortium meeting
- Vendors Contacted and show interest in Spring Conference
- New members join, including Dr. Pavel Slavik of the Czech Technical University
- Consortium attends SIGGRAPH, Aug 8-11
- Aug 1: Consortium conference call with Delphi re: Workspace Seminars
- Fifteen new members inaugurate consortium's membership structure
- July 1-2 meeting lays groundwork for visual SolSys white paper
- Contact Consortium visits DragonSpires graphical MUD developers in Austin, Texas, July 11
- The Consortium at NASFiC in Atlanta, July 12-16
- Contact Consortium visits the Delphi Consulting Group in Boston MA, July 17-18, planning for possible WorkSpace Seminars
- June 30-Jul 2: Consortium holds first Brainstorming weekend and full formation meeting
Visual SolSys Sim Design Document produced
- June 23: Consortium visits HotWired, Worlds Incorporated in San Francisco, California
- WorldsChat: the first 3D inhabitable space in the Internet is two months old
- New members lining up
- A Report on Consortium presentations at conferences in Nice, France and Prague, Czech Republic
- A Web article about the Consortium
- Our LISTSERV is up and running, subscribe!
- See lively Usenet Newsgroup discussions on Graphical MUDs
- May 30-June 3: Consortium presents closing session at Xplor 11th Annual European Conference, Nice, France. Meet Derrick Dekkerkhove of the MCluhan Program, Tom Kouloupoulos of Delphi Consulting
- May 24: Consortium Directors Meeting: Final Incorporation Paperwork
- May 22: Consortium Directors Meeting: Incorporation Paperwork
- May 20: Consortium Directors and Members Meeting
- May 18: Consortium Directors Meeting: Incorporation Paperwork
- May 17: Consortium members meet Clifford Stoll at Capitola Book Cafe
- May 11: Consortium begins testing WorldsChat
- May 6: Consortium presented to members of Epona, World Builders
- May 5: First larger (including members, directors) formal Consortium Meeting Occurs
- Consortium Formed by Directors Bruce Damer, Terrel Hoffman and Keith Ferrel, Jim Funaro (Advisor)
- April 29: Consortium Social: Introduction to first members
- April 24: Consortium formation announcement posted onto Internet by email
- April 24: Consortium Third Planning Meeting: Incorporation Planning, Keith Ferrel Agrees to Serve as Director
- April 21: Consortium Second Planning Meeting at Cabrillo College roles and structure defined
- April 20: Bruce attends WebWorld, additional contacts made
- April 10-12: Consortium planning group attends Internet World, sees VRML Introduction, contacts first companies.
- April 8: Consortium Plan worked reviewd at initial directors meeting
- Contact Consortium corporate name reserved
- Mar 12-31: Consortium plan and interest developed by email
- Mar 15: Meeting with Jim Funaro to discuss elements of Consortium
- Mar 12: Consortium presented and endorsed by board of CONTACT
- Mar 9-12: Consortium worked into form at CONTACT XII Conference by Bruce Damer, Reed Riner, Larry Niven, Mark Conway and others (combining the SolSys MUD with the visuals of project Epona)
The Contact Consortium was conceived on a long road trip from Sedona Arizona to Canada and back down to San Francisco in August and September of 1994. Hours of intense discussion in a big blue van by Bruce Damer and Mark Conway produced the form of the Consortium. It was planned to present this at the CONTACT XII conference coming up in San Jose, California in March of 1995.
Bruce met Mark in the 650 year old Charles University in Prague in early 1993. Mark later attended Bruce's weekly Information Age Forum dinners in Prague where they struck up a friendship. Mark described Dr. Reed Riner's SolSys MUD on a long walk in the woods (after many beers at a Prague beer garden) which mesmerized Bruce. Bruce thought SolSys was a visual environment and was surprised to learn that it was entirely text based. Something so rich, with its own culture, politics, economy and traditions and yet it was text-based. Bruce thought, once these environments are graphical, the Internet, and human contact would be changed forever.
Back to Consortium Home Page
© 1996 Contact Consortium, All Rights Reserved.